Today was the day of the Weimar excursion. I do have good memories of the beautiful architecture, but the problem is the batteries in my camera died and all I was able to get pictures of were the graves of St. Jakobs Kirche (St. Jacobs Church). My understanding is that it is where Goethe and Schiller are buried. I have picture of Goethe’s grave with the roses on it. I was also entertained by the fact that a black and white cat ran through the cemetery. (A cat was a protector of the underworld/the dead in Ancient Egyptian lore.) I’ve grown to accustomed to the cobble stone that paves the German streets to notice it in any other city, but for the sake of the tourists they had carriage rides clomping on the cobblestone and I can only imagine the sheer racket it must have been in olden times. How loud must all of those been? 4 at one time were deafening. I most definitely prefer the hum and swoosh of the cars. In Weimar we also stopped at Schiller’s house on Schiller Street, at J. S. Bach’s, the main square, main church, and the Rathaus. All of it was very pretty and covered in Graffiti art. I enjoy European Graffiti. They take so much more time and care in what they put on the walls. In Weimar there is the most picturesque park a lone tower at one corner, a couple of trees growing so close together they can no longer be told apart, a lake to the left with a white house beyond that, a grass patch to the right with two people sitting very close together and it was the picture of perfection even with the rain. After the tour though, to my dismay the Polish kids that I have been hanging around with wanted to eat Burger King. I was very glad that the manager spoke English because without even thinking about it I just launched into the American English ordering style. The breading on the chicken sandwich was different and the oil used to fry everything was also odd. Also, the place was done in a retro style I don’t know if it’s just been there that long, or if that’s how all European restaurants are done. From there we met up with the group at the theater square with a statue of Goethe on the left with the laurel wreath and Schiller on the right. We met there for the part that I have been dreading all day which really put a damper on my spirits. It was time for our trip to Buchenwald.
No comments:
Post a Comment