I find myself in a strange position. I don’t like Amsterdam. It’s a nice city and parts of it our worming there way into my heart, but I don’t like the stench of the weed being smoked in the streets. I don’t like how this city is meant for the tourists. I hate how much every thing costs. I wanna go else where. I wanna go home. I spent a few hours in the park to day and it is worthy of being painted, but not worthy of my buying 4 batteries for €6.00 ($9.00) to put in my camera to take pictures with. I sat in the park next to the pond under a tree with some statue or other to my left. Nick and I wanted and did a picnic. He had the coca-cola and I had the crackers and sunflower seeds. I spent 2 or 3 hours there. I passed the time by smelling the weed being carried by the wind and listening to my own music or the sounds of the city. The mix of cultures here is nice. In the park I spoke with a French guy asking me if I “want smoke”. I lied and told him I had a boy friend and he left, ok so the culture mix is annoying. But I have yet to see Dutch culture! I would have been happier if I had stayed in the mountains of Germany! That is the country that just stole my heart! But at the same time I am glad I came. It is good to get a new experience. I am glad to be here, but I don’t think I’ll come back unless it’s for business or someone else’s choice (which it was this time). It is good to be with a group the first time you go running around a strange place in case something goes wrong, but I prefer my freedom and my own will when it comes to making decisions. In my mind as for the museums- jump on line, see the website catalog and hunt down the images on google. It’s free and you got to see it on your time! You could even print them and keep them if you wanted to all for free! I have been going into shops and seeing all of the pretty things, but there is nothing in any country that I would lay down a cent for, worry/stress about lugging it home in my cramped suitcase, and then spend the next few years fussing about needing to dust it and after about 5 years throwing it away. I know me! I know that I am not materialistic and I know that some of the best things in life are (close to being) free. I know that all of the stuff I look at is just going to get thrown out after a little bit of time has passed!! I can’t justify throwing money out like that!!! Everything here that is cute, is not cute back home, and will be just another hunk of crap! I did lay down €9 for some nik-naks just to prove I was here. But really I could have gotten them state side for 1/3 of the price. I just wanted Mom to have something to scrap book for this city since I won’t have any pictures. Maybe I will lay down another € for a post card to take home. I thought about doing a canal tour because I have never been in a city with canals, but I’m pretty sure I’ve already paid for the canal tour in Berlin. So, I can’t justify spending that €8.50 here.
As for Justin and a birthday present- again nothing I am willing to pay for. I thought about bringing home something to do with weed or drugs, or alcohol, but since he works with those inner city kids, he can’t be seen “endorsing” any of that! And all of the other tourist stuff will just be another hunk of crap. So, I think the best gift for Justin is a gas card when I get home. It’s practical, needed, useful, and highly appreciated. I figure I’ll give him a little extra on the card and he can hit Jungle Jims for the crackers I am now addicted to. Ok, Justin, remember they are called Leibniz Butterkeks! You might wanna stock up on them now just incase!
I’m laughing right now! I just got two new roomies and they’re German!!! Well, I guess the saying is true! “Ask and ye shall receive!”
Wilkommen zu Meine Deutsche Fahren!!!
Ich will nach Hause gehen!!! Ich will eine Kuchen und Mecklenburg Gardens!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment